Tuesday, April 8, 2008

HOLI: Festival of Colors


Recently I went to the Hari Krishna temple in Spanish Fork for the Holi Festival of Colors. I have been hesitant to blog about the Festival of Colors for two reasons, I'm unsure that I can adequately describe it and also I don't want to in anyway accidentally disrespect the Krishnas. If you would like to read about what this festival means to the Krishnas please click here. Instead of me telling you everything I'm just going to show some videos and a few pictures.

The festival is supposed to be a symbol of the warmth of spring banishing winter. The celebration includes burning a demon at the stake, food, traditional dancing and singing, a band and the throwing of colored chalk dust.

This video is after most of the colors have been thrown but you still get to see some puffs of color go out. This video also shows the song they "sing." That's the only song they sing.


This video is just us being silly. My friend Randy was trying to clean off my camera.


Three shampoos and a long shower later I was back to clean.

Maybe the funniest part of the whole thing? Our banishment of winter must not have worked because the next morning we woke up to 3+ inches of snow.

3 comments: