Monday, January 28, 2008

Praise to the Man

I feel almost bad about this, like I'm jumping on some sort of bandwagon, but I feel a need to say something too.

Our beloved prophet, Gordon B. Hinckley, has passed away.



What a truly remarkable man. I know that I cannot adequately put into words what a wonderful person he was. I loved him for his sense of humor, his humility, his love for his wife and family, his kindness, and his ability to laugh at himself. To me he had the ability to make the things he spoke about feel achievable. After listening to him speak I always felt uplifted and more optimistic about life. I had the opportunity to read his biography for a class I took and I highly recommend it to anyone who would want to know more about him and his life. I was so impressed with how he dedicated his entire life to serving the people and the gospel he loved.

When his wife died I sobbed. I remember being afraid that he wouldn't be around much longer either and that while he was he would be without his beloved companion. When I heard on Sunday that he had passed away I was sad for a moment but I quickly became happy that he will be able to see her again. He lived 97 wonderful years and was such a great example. One of my favorite quotes from him was one he gave at his wife's funeral and I think it applies if you are LDS or not:

"It isn’t as bad as you sometimes think it is. It all works out. Don’t worry. I say that to myself every morning. It will all work out. Put your trust in God, and move forward with faith and confidence in the future. The Lord will not forsake us. He will not forsake us. If we will put our trust in Him, If we will pray to Him, If we will live worthy of His blessings, He will hear our prayers."

If you have a favorite quote please share!

3 comments:

  1. what a great post. Thanks for that, Jodi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jodi. That's such a great quote...they were all great, weren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love that quote jod. it's on our fridge at home with that same pic!! i will miss having such a cute prophet. (that's not the only thing i will miss about him.)

    ReplyDelete